The student news site of Nimitz High School

Sword & Shield

• February 8Go watch the monthly updated important events video!

• February 8Welcome to the Sword & Shield online newspaper! I hope you enjoy.

Survival 101: How to make it through the First year of College

Rachel Van Pamel, 2014-2015 Editor-in- Chief

As you stand at the brink of radical change, you may find yourself paralyzed, stuck by equal poise of fear and excitement. The school year is almost over, and for many seniors, this means that college is becoming a tangible reality, and what seemed for so long distant and unreachable is now immanent. Fear you not, for if you follow these few simple tips, you will find that you are able not only to survive your first year of college, but also to thrive.

By far, the most important piece of advice I can give to you is to manage your time well. Part of what makes college so wonderful is the myriad of opportunities available to you, but you mustn’t overload yourself or allocate your time disproportionately. If you use your time well and put homework first, you will be rewarded for your efforts, and you will be able to enjoy your social activities without the burden of academic anxiety.

Additionally, while it is imperative that you remain true to yourself and your values, you mustn’t chain yourself to who you were in high school. You have a marvelous opportunity before you to start fresh and move forward. You have been given a clean slate academically and socially and can allow new experiences to change you for the better.

Surviving college takes more than just managing your time well and being mindfully open to new experiences. There are a lot of little things which must also be taken into account. The first of these is that you can never have too many snacks in your dorm. While many campuses have on campus options for late night food, you will inevitably find yourself with a rumbling tummy at 1 AM and barely have a strong enough desire to get out of bed, let alone leave your dorm to get food. Secondly, making friends can be both easier and harder than you remember it being. Don’t be too intimidated to talk to new people. Remember, the students around you feel just as lost and scared as you do! Thirdly, in order to be successful in your classes you must keep up with the assigned reading and do the homework. High school, particularly in Irving ISD, is uniquely forgiving of many academic transgressions in a way which most colleges aren’t. Stay on top of things and you will be rewarded. Additionally, getting involved on campus really helps the transitional phase go smoother. Whether it be joining a club or going to campus events, involvement really helps you feel like you’re a part of the community.

Furthermore, you must not overload yourself. My first semester of college I took 19 credit hours (for context: students taking 12 hours are considered “full time”), worked two jobs and spent 21 hours a week in rehearsal for a play I was assistant stage managing. While I did technically survive this, I would recommend the experience to nobody. By overloading yourself, you cut yourself off from the potential success you could have if you are able to put more of your attention towards the things you are working on and you cut yourself off from being able to enjoy your youth and freedom in any spare time.

Whatever your reasons for continuing your education may be, whether the choice arises out of a desire to get a good job so you can have a financially stable future or simply out of a voracious love of knowledge, remember that it is costing you something to be there. It can be easy to get behind and be swept up by your new social environment, but you must remember your reasons for being there and stick with it. It can feel like it would be much easier to give up on your pursuit, whether that pursuit be primarily for the sake of a degree or for the sake of your education. In fact, many people do. According to the Department of Education, the nationwide college completion rate is only 55.03%, with a very large proportion of students dropping out after their first semester or first year. College, while it is certainly not easy, is a profoundly rewarding experience, and if you stick with it and follow these tips, you will find yourself having gained more from the experience than the sum of the time, money, and effort it takes to  make it through.