The student news site of Nimitz High School

Sword & Shield

• February 8Go watch the monthly updated important events video!

• February 8Welcome to the Sword & Shield online newspaper! I hope you enjoy.

NHS Induction Ceremony

Laura Bosma, Staff Writer

On the night of October 27th, Nimitz High School invited students and their families to the National Honor Society induction ceremony, where about 100 juniors were inducted. At 7 o’clock  Ms. Wendy Trammell, the assistant principal of Nimitz High School, performed the call to order. Students who had previously stood anxiously waiting in the hallway quickly made their entrance. As all students took their seats, the colors were presented and the national anthem was sung by the Nimitz High School choir, officially starting the program.

Student leaders of the NHS were introduced one by one, by office rank starting with President Gina Biasi, who not only gave a brief welcome, but also told the purpose of National Honor Society. Cindy Truong (Parliamentarian), Jacinda McCommons (Treasurer), Julissa Zepeda (Secretary), Eric Nguyen (Vice President), and Pongskon Bupphasawan (Historian) were called up after. Each giving a speech about the five main characteristics and responsibilities of a National Honor Society member. Knowledge, scholarship, service, leadership, and character . On their way up to the podium, the officers lit a candle, each representing the five characteristics, or responsibilities. Once all speeches were completed, the inductees were announced. As the names were called, the students would walk across the stage and not only sign a paper document, but shake the principal’s hand before lining up at the bottom of the stage.

Once all students were at the bottom of the stage, the ceremony of lights was initiated.  Candles were passed out, and the students at each end got their candles lit first. From there, each student would lean over and light the persons’ next to them, until the last candle in the middle was lit. Gina Biasi told the significance of the light before leading the students in the NHS pledge. Once all inductees had finished reciting the oath, they blew out their candles, before co-advisors Apryl Hampton and Pamela Brooks and the Principal of Nimitz High School, Mr. Curtis Mauricio, presented the new members of the Nimitz National Honor Society ending the ceremony. New members, along with their families, then gathered in the library for a small celebration with cookies and punch.