The student news site of Nimitz High School

Anissa Hernandez

Anissa Hernandez

Pink Out Volleyball

The Lady Vikings Varsity takes home the dub in their Pink Out game against the Skyline Raiders. The traditional Pink Out game has been part of the volleyball team for 4 years now and Varsity coach, Coach Joy Engeldinger continues the tradition in support of breast cancer awareness month. Throughout the week before pink out, the volleyball girls sold t-shirts with the quote, “Blocking Out Cancer” getting everyone including the girls themselves excited for the game.

On the day of the game all the girls were pumped, it being a volleyball tradition for parents to decorate the girls locker rooms on game day both, Freshman and JV-Varsity locker rooms were pinked out along with all of the girls getting a pink bag full of candy. As the day resides, the girls sported their pink out apparel, which included pink headbands homemade by Varsity Player, senior Breann Miles’ mother along with their “Blocking Out Cancer” shirts throughout the day.

“Seeing everyone in Pink, supporting Breast Cancer Awareness,” is one of junior and Varsity player Miranda Debrick’s favorite part of Pink Out Day.

The support for Breast Cancer Awareness was fully shown.  As pre-game warm-ups began, parents and students started filling the home side bleachers with pink shirts and their pink out shirts. As the game started the girls went out and dominated, ending Skyline in three sets. Pink Out has been around as long as all current player have played at Nimitz. Senior Varsity player Tobi Sturdy enjoys spreading awareness about breast cancer, the Pink Out tradition has a special meaning to her.

“To me Pink Out represents fighting for a cure for breast cancer and supporting all of the people who are strong enough to deal with that throughout their lives.” Sturdy said emphasizing the true value of Pink Out.

The value of Pink Out is often overseen, and mistaken as a game day to wear pink. Although Pink Out is a day to wear pink and have fun, its’ true purpose is to raise awareness in the cure for breast cancer. Pink isn’t just a pretty color, to many it is a sign of hope.  Many people are fighting against breast cancer and hope is all they need to keep fighting. When we wear pink in support for Breast Cancer Awareness month it gives those fighters the hope that they need to keep fighting. The Pink Out tradition is and remains an important day to the Nimitz Varsity Volleyball girls.

Sword & Shield • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in