The student news site of Nimitz High School

Gabe Velasquez

Gabe Velasquez

Nimitz Vs. MacArthur

PB072063-XL

The Nimitz High School Vikings and MacArthur Cardinals faced off Friday night with a final score of 14-9, MacArthur taking the “dub.”

“I personally felt like I let the team down,” said senior quarterback Jared Jenkins. “After a loss like that, I just remind the team we had a good week of practice and we can always improve.”

In the first quarter, Mac starts the game with a lead at 7-0. With Nimitz back on offense, we had multiple complete passes but none of which led to a touchdown on our behalf. Two minutes into the second quarter, MacArthur’s running back rushed the ball down 25 yards for a touchdown. Defensively,

senior strong side linebacker Louis Simpson caught an interception giving Nimitz back the ball. After multiple incomplete passes, the Vikings rushed the ball a few yards and ended up on the ten yard line where junior running back Mark Eugene scored another touchdown. The touchdown with the extra point took them into halftime with a score of 14-9 and MacArthur still leading

“I just continue to motivate my team on and off the field and remind them that it [isn’t] over” said Eugene said.

The third and fourth quarter was full of multiple rushes, fumbles, and incomplete passes.“Our preparation was good enough to beat Mac, but there were times that we didn’t execute our plan.” lineback coach Mr. Ernest Bradley said.

There were multiple mistakes on Nimitz’s behalf that did not lead them to scoring. It was unfortunate that we didn’t leave with a win against our rival, although many players said that win or lose they were still proud of their teammates for winning enough games to still be  in the playoffs.

Sword & Shield • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in