The student news site of Nimitz High School

Gabe Velasquez

Gabe Velasquez

Nimitz Vs. Irving

After many severe weather conditions Friday, Nimitz went back out on Saturday, October 24th and defeated Irving High with the final score of 21-0.

“Knowing that this is my last year playing high school football, it was nice to bring home that win,” said senior linebacker Noah Spears.

Halfway through the first quarter, senior Michael Perez picked Irving’s fumbled ball and ran 30 yards. First down on offense, senior quarterback Joseph Peña ran a touchdown which lead to a score of 7-0 after kickoff with five minutes left in the first quarter. Just a few minutes into the second quarter with Irving back on offense, Perez then caught another interception which was returned for a touchdown, ending the first half with a score of 14-0.

Senior outside linebacker Jordan Woodson stated, “It was heartwarming to go out and beat our rival, but we always stay humble and get ready for the next one.”

In the start of the second half, another interception was caught by Perez on the 10 yard line which led to a touchdown by Peña. Nimitz Vikings ended game with a score of 21-0.

With the  past two losses against Jesuit and Skyline, quarterback coach, Mr. Akeem Leviston spoke on how proud he was of the boys.

“It’s human nature to lose and get discouraged so no-brainer I’m proud of them,”  said Coach Leviston agreeing with head coach Mr. Brian Rogers and defensive back coach Mr. Sedrick Love that there is “always work to be done.”

Nimitz Vikings are 3-2 in district play and face off against the W.T. White Longhorns in a fight for playoffs.

Sword & Shield • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in