The student news site of Nimitz High School

Sword & Shield

• February 8Go watch the monthly updated important events video!

• February 8Welcome to the Sword & Shield online newspaper! I hope you enjoy.

Filed under Editorials

The Importance of Voting

In a recent political update from New York Times, America has reached its lowest voter turnout in 72 years. When results from recent midterm elections came in, voter turnout was reported lower than it has been in seven decades. This recent decline in votes brings light to the topic of voting and how important it is to America. Although voting may be considered insignificant to many people, voting let’s Americans practice their individual rights and help develop our country.

According to the 2010 Census Bureau only 65.1 % of all Americans eligible to vote registered for voting. Out of that 65.1% only 45.5% reported that they voted. Voting participation is the underpinning bedrock foundation of democracy.  With less than half of Americans voting, is our country truly following the foundations of democracy?  As Americans we all individually have a right to vote, tying us to the social order whether we choose to practice that vote or not. By voting, we declare ourselves a democracy, governing ourselves by free choice.

Voting also gives Americans the chance to have their voices heard by giving their opinion about how they believe the government should be ran. With enough voices in unison, voters can easily change their government for the better if they choose to vote smartly. Although the Census Bureau percentages bring up many concerns, New York Times recent statement of mid-term voting poll result emits many other major concerns. When speaking of the recent results New York Times say, “Over all, the national turnout was 36.3%; only the 1942 federal election had a lower participation rate…” bringing up the conflict of citizens not voting.

As citizens we have responsibilities, and one of those responsibilities include voting. We should be grateful and cherish the fact that we even have the ability to vote unlike other countries that have no rights at all. Voting is a privilege given to us by our Founding Fathers and we have the responsibility of continuing the democracy that has been built, instead of letting it crash, due to the consequence of not voting. As Americans, it is our job to understand the essence of voting and how important it is to participate in it because if we choose to overlook its value, our next choice won’t be ours.