The student news site of Nimitz High School

Sword & Shield

• February 8Go watch the monthly updated important events video!

• February 8Welcome to the Sword & Shield online newspaper! I hope you enjoy.

Freshmen Survival Guide

Lesly Garcia

More stories from Lesly Garcia

KRT

One of the scariest feelings in the world is not knowing what to do in a new environment. However, with just a few tips and tricks, you can end up loving your high school year.

1. Bring your computers. Although many people in school don’t like the weight of having to carry their laptops around school every day, you start to realize that they are very efficient, this being because most of the things that we do in our classes involve technology, and are on the computer like: Bell Ringers, Gizmos, Kahoot.it, Google Classroom, Edmodo, and your Google Drive. Keep in mind that many teachers at Nimitz believe only in the modern world of technology, it is efficient and effective.
  2. Take detailed Cornell Notes, use your school provided Planners.  Both Cornell notes and Planners do in fact help you become college ready, being organized might be a bit annoying but in the end all of that will be for your convenience. And considering that to some teachers doing this process is a grade, might as well take advantage of that opportunity.
  3. Interact with others.  To create a positive social environment, don’t be scared to get involved in school programs this including, for example, Junior Historians, which in fact is not only for upperclassman but for anybody that wants to join, and FFA, future farmers of America, a great organization that helps you get involved, and win scholarships.
  4. Speak with teachers.  There are many teachers in Nimitz High School that can help you have a good freshman year, for example, Mr. Diehl, he is an AVID teacher, he helps you stay on track with your school work, and prepares you for college. Mrs. Bradley the U.S. History teacher is part of the Junior Historians program and helps you do your community hours (looks great on college applications), because it is never too late. Asking the people around you about their perspectives on certain things would be really helpful to understand Nimitz High School a little bit better.

Just remember that in order to have a smooth freshman year you have to be able to communicate with others this including teachers, most importantly, as well as being focused. Don’t lose yourself in the middle of the school year, every second is important in high school. Freshman year is the most important because it determines whether or not the classes given to you are the right classes for you, college do look at this.